The Emergency Singing Sensation

Sunday, August 28, 2005

I won! We won!

Yesterday, my day did not start so well because Paolo "Papa Bear" Sanchez was inconsiderate very early in the morning. Anyway, thank you for making the executive summary for our group.

On to the next story:

This is a bit funny. You see, the last time I joined a singing contest was in 1993, when I was in Grade 2. Now, 12 years later, I decided to join a singing contest in UP out of necessity.

Our org, UP SIKAT is in need of funds because we are going to have a party this coming Tuesday. Then, the Department of Linguistics (in celebration of Linguistics Week) organized a singing contest, entitled "Sing-A-Lingg". The twist to this singing contest is that the contestants must sing in a native Filipino language other than Filipino. We could either sing a song originally written in the native language of choice, or translate a song. Several of us from SIKAT auditioned, but not everyone made it through (although we were hoping we would)

I made it through the auditions. My audition piece was"Cry" by Mandy Moore. I chose to sing Matud Nila for the contest proper, since I am familiar with the song. What I did was to put a twist. Matud Nila is really a sad song, but in the later part of the song, my guitarist played the tune in a "Latin jazz" way. In other words, it became upbeat. The gamble paid off. I won 2nd place!

What made me even more happy is that all of those from SIKAT who made it to the contest proper won. First place: Kwami Biasbas (Idemdem Mallida, an Itneg war song). Second place: Marian Cloma (Matud nila, Cebuano, Pilita Corrales). Third place: Kristian Jeff Agustin (Mahirap Talagang Magmahal ng Syota ng Iba, translated to Ilocano, APO Hiking Society).

After the contest, we had to proceed to the College of Science because SIKAT was invited to do an intermission number for the drag queen competition called Binibini Ba'to. The competition was organized by the UP Geological Society, hence the title has a double meaning.

SIKat was to perform the signature VOICE TALENT. One of the voice talents, Thone, was absent. I had to fulfill my role again as the Emergency Singing Sensation. Luckily, it went well.
The Emergency Singing Sensation did it again! Hehe!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home